As part of our commitment to the autism community, Lumen Pediatric Therapy’s Family Engagement Committee will be hosting a Back-to-School event on Saturday, August 19th from 3 to 6 pm at our St. Clair Shores location. This is a community event, you do not need to be a current Lumen client to attend, however, this event is intended for children with an autism diagnosis and their parents/guardians. Please RSVP by August 14th at Events@Lumenkids.com.
The MISSION of the Lumen Family Engagement Committee is to create an environment where families can build and nurture community through structured activities that create a safe space for the expression of emotions, provide enrichment, education, as well as positive social support.
The Back-to-School event will include:
- “Ask the Experts” Q&A: Parents will be able to ask our panel of clinical professionals’ questions about how to best support your child during back-to-school. This Q&A will be hosted by Brian Kaminski, VP Clinical Services; Michelle Kriegshauser, Speech Language Pathologist; and Jessica Young, Occupational Therapist.
Some of the discussion topics are outlined below:
- How to be an advocate for your child.
- How to apply for school services.
- Learn about Individualized Education Programs (IEP).
- Sensory Friendly Barber and Stylist: We will have a sensory friendly barber and stylist onsite providing free back-to-school haircuts. We ask that you pre-register for your child’s haircut at email@example.com providing your child’s name, age, and any information to help us provide the best possible haircut experience. Once we receive this information, you will be provided with a time for your child’s haircut appointment.
- Sensory Friendly Clothing Samples: We will have sensory friendly clothing samples onsite along with information about a variety of vendors offering sensory friendly apparel and footwear.
- School Resumes: We will offer a resume service to all children attendees to help craft a resume for your child to provide their teacher. This resume will offer guidance on how your child learns best and tips for a successful school year.
- School Supplies: We have free school supply bundles for the first 30 RSVPs (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please provide your child’s name, age, grade, and if they have an autism diagnosis.
- Children’s Activities: We will have activities set up for the kids that will be hosted by Lumen team members.
- Healthy Snacks: There will be a build your own healthy snack section along with a variety of cold refreshments.